Monday, March 23, 2009

School

One of the reasons we started this blog was to journal my experience of going back to school while being a mom, wife, and actress-extraordinaire (ok, mediocre... sheesh. tough crowd. haha). I'm doing a great job of that since I started TWO WEEKS AGO and forgot to mention it! LOL I started school at the DATC and am taking my CNA course so I can eventually slap on Hello Kitty bandaids and actually get paid for it. :P So far, I'm loving it! Wade is being super supportive and taking off work early on my school days so that I can go without having to worry about the kids. At first I was feeling really overwhelmed, especially when they started telling us how quickly the course will go- three months of bookwork, a month of clinicals working in a nursing home, and BAM! You're a CNA! But so far I'm handling it. I'm actually a little ahead of schedule! I was feeling a little down after I took my first test, like 'what in the world did I get myself into' when I needed to score 80% and only got 76%. It really made me wonder if I could handle all this- school, family, church callings, etc. But then I retook the test and got 95% and then scored 100% on my next two tests and 96% on the one after that! I felt much better and excited again. I had to memorize like 300 medical terms and abbreivations in five days- it was easy with kids to quiz me! :)

It's so interesting to see the different people in my class. We range from juniors in highschool (a couple of them even go to school with my nephew) all the way to a couple of ladies that are 10 or so years older than me and all their kids are grown and out of the house. When we were learning some skills the other day (we were learning how to wash our hands correctly. I should make my kids take this class) we went around the group and introduced ourselves and told why we were taking the class. A few of the kids said "I want to do something in the medical field when I grow up". I leaned over to the lady next to me and said "you realize they mean our age, right?" LOL All in all it's a lot of fun. I look forward to doing my homework (my dad is saying 'who are you and what have you done with my daughter?) and can't wait to start my clinicals. I think I eventually want to be an LPN and work at a hospital, but we'll see how things go after I'm done with this stint. I still gotta do my shows, ya know! :P

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lind, I just caught up on your blog! Your doing such a great job! I loved the one about the dream.....Check my blog, you've been nominated for an award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! You're a smarty pants!!!! I wish I had time for that! I'll just live vicariously through you for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were back in school! That is very exciting and I'm sure you will have some great stories to tell after clinicals at the nursing home. Well, at least I do. :) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete